Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tunisia Travel Tips

I came to this country desperate to experience. My desire still is to know so much that I can be a reliable help to others.
I now live in Djerba, Tunisia but my first and obvious task after arriving was to know how to travel around in this country. I have tried them all so here goes:

For the Budget Traveler, Public transport holds the key. I remember how I armed myself with walking shoes, backpack, travel jacket, money belt and hat. In and out of busses, louages and trains I dragged my backpack and my partner, desperate to get to my next destination or to a place of rest. After jossling through crowds with tired feet and painful back, I had a better appreciation for the budget traveler. I felt limited in many ways and wished that I could see more, but for the burden on my back. After several experiences, I can provide you with a fairly accurate budget for traveling in Tunisia by public transport. Contact me at AlanTS@generalmail.net

The next thing that I tried was to rent a car. With excitement we piled into our Renault Clio, luggage loaded, maps out, water bottles filledl and we were off. Me the driver had to be obedient to the navigator. There were times when the navigator instructed left and not right. Patiently I turned back to where we lost our way with renewed hope and a wry smile (often with a cheeky comment too). We visited many places, stopped anywhere we wanted, took many pictures of the most obscure objects and made a few new friends. Fuel prices are reasonable in this country and we figured that renting a car is value for money. The down side is that I had to search long and hard for the right company with reliable vehicles at the right price. I also did not want to be ripped off. Now I know where to go what the prices of rentals ought to be. Talk to me for free advice and some more tips that can keep you out of the psychiatric ward after your journey and still friends with your travel companions. AlanTS@generalmail.net

One month later, I traveled in real comfort. A local travel company sold me a package tour of the Sahara. All 5 of us (my whole family), had a trouble free journey. The driver was careful, talked to the inquisitive police officer, protected our interest and made certain that we were not ripped off at restaurants and touristic sites. I did not have a care in world about getting lost and looking over to my wife, she was as content as I like her. This journey was more expensive than the other option, but gave me the most value.

You might connect with me to make all your arrangements or you might just want my free advice that I willingly part with. Either way, WELCOME.

Bon Voyage
Alan (AlanTS@generalmail.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment