Saturday, November 3, 2012

Night 1 in Tunis

Common Medina Paths
 
It was a cold, dank day when I stepped off the plane at the Tunis/Carthage airport in March 2007. The newness of this exotic destination gripped our enthusiasm, defying the ache for warmth and a drink of the familiar. The kind taxi driver dropped us at the Carlton hotel on the main central avenue of Tunis in no time. With hotel forms duly completed and signed we stumbled into our 3star bedroom on the 2nd floor above avenue Bourguiba with a view of the Africa Hotel and a bustling double lane lined with pedestrians, cars, cafes, tables and trees. The icy wind that came off the south of Europe did not deter life on the high street one bit.

A quick shower, clean clothes, a close shave and within 30 minutes our party of 4 met in the hotel lounge with a look of readiness to try Mediterranean cuisine. Having just come from Morocco, my mind told me to sample Tunisian Tajine. My empty stomach forced pictures of cooked dried fruit with delicious meat and vegetables into my mind. My taste buds responded in eager expectation while interesting people walked up and down the narrow cobbled stone alleys. When the waiter of the old Tunis Medina restaurant plonked the dish on our table, 8 eyes shot him a surprise. 'Where is the tajine?' I said with raised eyebrows, up-turned palms and with accented French. 'Sa c'est tajine monsieur... c'est tajine Tunisien', the bemused waiter said with a gentle smile. Turning to my company, I said, this looks like regular old keesh. We ate with fond memories of Morocco, drinking in the amazing ambiance of modern dress in a historical setting.

Late that night I slipped into a deep sleep wondering what the next day would bring. How will a Tour Operator make a success, where to base... more comfortable hotels.... real tajine...

No comments:

Post a Comment